Friday, April 21, 2017

Resfeber and Estar de Rodriguez

Today I bring you two words that English should welcome enthusiastically. I have a selfish, rather personal, reason for wanting the second, of course.

Resfeber, courtesy Swedish, describes the restless beat of a traveler’s heart before the journey begins, the anticipation and the anxiety, the desire to get going, to begin the adventure that they have no doubt awaits them, not just at the end of their journey, but at every step along the way.

When did you last experience Resfeber?



The second word I have for you today is actually a phrase, but it is interesting, and personal, and that is why it is here.

Estar de Rodriguez is Spanish for the state of being left home alone while the family goes out on vacation. Isn’t that cute?

If you haven’t guessed why I want this phrase, let me remind you that Rodrigues is my family name, though as Rodrigues go, only my Dad was ever Estar de Rodriguez. When we went on extended vacations during our school holidays, it was Mum, my brothers and I that had a good time at our ancestral home in Goa. Dad would not be able to take off from work for all that time, so his vacation would be reduced to a week.

The rest of the time, Dad (poor guy) would make his own meals, try to keep the house as clean as he could, and leave for work in the morning, returning home to a locked and empty house in the evening. I always felt sorry for him, having to live alone, without us to brighten up his life.

Now that I think of it, Estar de Rodriguez was what Kevin McAllister was in the three Home Alone films.

It’s good to know that it was our surname that was used, though I have no idea why. Maybe it is a common family name in Spain.

Or maybe some chap called Rodriguez went berserk when his wife and kids left him alone while they went on holiday. And the rest of the Spaniards thought they’d make an example out of him.


Have you ever been Estar de Rodriguez?

14 comments:

  1. Resfeber! I love it.

    That's the feeling I get when I'm off-stage, about to go on for a performance. Standing off-stage like that is my most favourite place in the whole world.

    Her Grace, Heidi from Romance Spinners

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heidi, what a delightful interpretation of Resfeber. I hadn't thought of it but now that you mention it, Resfeber does fit your situation perfectly.

      Delete
  2. Hi Cynthia - I think both of those are lovely words ...sadly many father's tend to get left to fend for themselves over long holidays ... and then Resfeber ... butterflies happen when I'm running for a train, or late for a meeting! Cheers Hilary

    http://positiveletters.blogspot.co.uk/2017/04/r-is-for-rare-breeds-survival-trust.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to know you already have a use for Resfeber.
      Estar de Rodriguez was the preserve of the father in times past.

      Delete
  3. What lovely words you've chosen today. I love having a word, resfeber, for that pre-trip state of jittery excitement/worry. And I have been Estar de Rodriguez - I actually kind of like it. It's as much a break from routine as being on vacation, and that's always a good thing I suspect. How fun you have a personal "connection" to the term. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you can relate to both words, Deborah. I too feel resfeber, even though I'm not much of a traveller. The few times I travel, I get hit by a massive attack of resfeber.
      I expect to be Estar de Rodriguez next month, when work prevents me from joining my family on vacation.

      Delete
  4. Great choice of words! your posts are irresistible resfeber is something I look forward to this year!

    Cheers,
    Anjali
    https://akprowling.wordpress.com/2017/04/21/r-is-for-reminiscing/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Anjali. I wish you a great and happy case of resfeber prior to an equally happy travel.

      Delete
  5. My estar-de-Rodriguez comes when hubby and the kids to into the hunting club alone. Then I get to do what I want, when I want or nothing at all. 😊
    Perspectives at Life & Faith in Caneyhead

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, alone time is hard to come by, and we must treasure the brief Estar de Rodriguez that come our way. Thank you, Barbara.

      Delete
  6. I've never been home when everyone else was on vacation. And I don't really recall having resfeber even though I've traveled a bit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Denise, I thought you'd have a use for resfeber. I guess you've travelled so much that it is second nature for you.

      Delete
  7. The Japanese term "rusu" is similar to "estar de Rodriguez" but even more compact. It also appears in other terms like "rusu-ban-denwa" (telephone answering machine).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Gifford. It is interesting to note that the Spanish and the Japanese share a word despite the differences in culture, and the geographical distance.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...